Tuesday 7 August 2012

Country mouse in the big city

So, after around 4000 miles, I have reached Portland.  It is by no means the end of the trip, but it was the last leg by myself.  On Sunday, Andrea will fly in and we will cycle to the final destination, Vancouver, together.

The Colombia Gorge was majestic and I really enjoyed cycling through it, even though the last part had a lot of tourist traffic.  The scenery was beautiful, with steep forested cliffs and a massive river between it all.  After River Hood, the environment changed, again suddenly, to thick damp forests - there was moss on the roads!  I had a number of enjoyable climbs that twisted up the valley sides and at the top rewarded me with fantastic panoramic vistas.  On the last climb I was able to see over Portland, which was pretty cool.  Flying next to the steep cliffs were ospreys and bald eagles.

The largest city on this trip before Portland was Pueblo, at 100,000, so it was quite a shock cycling into the urban sprawl of Portland.  On first impressions, Portland is a very 'edgy' and interesting city.  It is not the most beautiful place, and feels quite industrial, but it has a very laid back atmosphere, where anything goes - and I have seen a lot of things so far!  The place is very gritty in some areas, and sadly there are a lot of homeless people and drug levels are high.  This is mixed with great wealth.

One thing is for certain though, it is a very cycle friendly place with loads of bikes and cycle lanes.  For once, I did not feel exotic entering a place!

If you like bikes, farmers markets, street venders, hippies, music, plus more, this is the city for you.

I am staying at a hostel, and it is nice to meet some new people from all over.  Unfortunately, the guy sleeping in the bunk above me is one hell of a snorer!  I have spoken to a lot of people in the place, and most are very nice, but there are a few who are 'so well traveled', as they think, that they are just too cool for school!  The words 'rad' and 'awesome' are being used a lot in the vicinity.

Last night I was having a conversation with someone who thought that because they had lived in a few countries, could provide great wisdom about what is wrong with the world.  I did not tell them that I had also lived in a few countries, and this years been to over 30 (although mainly briefly!!!)...I struggle with these self absorbed travelling types who think they know everything!

What I did find myself doing, though, was raving about the USA!  This person was American, but did not like their country and wanted to move to France as they thought the people were much more genuine.  I disagree (and not just about the French but W.Europe).  When I cycled from Amsterdam to Paris, people rarely gave me the time of day to even say hello.  In the USA, I have been invited to peoples home for the night, had someone pay a motel room, had meals bought for me, given lifts, and more, and never was anything expected in return.  All countries have stereotypes and flaws, and the Americans are criticized a lot around the world.  But never have a experience such generosity and hospitality by a nation - so thank you USA!


No comments:

Post a Comment